Short Form Video:
POWERING THE PLANET, is a fascinating exploration into the promise of renewable energy. Shot on location in Denmark, Brazil, China, Morocco, Spain, Scotland, and the United States, the film focuses on the different ways that nations are approaching global energy transformation.
In the past, technological concerns limited the adoption of clean, sustainable energy solutions. Today, economic and political issues often represent the biggest obstacles. Host Richard Alley travels the globe, in fast-paced segments, explaining what's gone right and wrong with international energy policies, including:
- How Brazil turned its natural resources (sun, rain and sugar cane) into enough biofuel to become energy independent.
- Denmark's bold plan to abandon fossil fuels by 2050.
- China’s fast-paced, full throttle approach to multiple sustainable energy technologies, including wind, solar, biofuels, nuclear, efficiency and clean coal.
- The failure of the United States to embrace alternative energy options after the oil crisis of the 1970s.
- Methods for overcoming local resistance to large-scale alternative energy projects.
This important documentary provides essential information for viewers to make wise decisions about energy in an entertaining and provocative format.
For information on the companion documentaries, please visit the catalog pages for EARTH: THE OPERATORS' MANUAL and ENERGY QUEST USA.
Produced by Passport to Knowledge/Geoff Haines-Stiles Productions, Inc, 2012.